PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scavenging a crashed 777: for a book
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2020, 00:28
MAC 40612

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kenpimentel
My latest challenge is this:
- 777 has belly landed on a saltpan (wheels up)
- slides have deployed
- The plane rests on it's fuselage, so the bottom of the cabin door is 8' feet or so above the saltpan

Question: how do I get back into the plane? I'd like to move injured people into first-class to use the reclining seats. I don't see over-wing exits, so can't use that method.

- I could go in through a cargo door, but I don't know if there is a way to go up from there
- I could make a ladder out of local wood - but not easy for injured that way
Lots of problems here...

You cannot open the cargo door without aircraft power [as it is electrically driven - both the door locks and the opening mechanism]

Even if you did get into the forward freight bay there is not an easy way up to the main deck, as there will be cargo pallets in the freight bay. Even if the freight bay were empty there is only a narrow door on the forward l/hand side that gets you into the MEC [Main Electronics Centre] and from there you need to open a hatch above you and climb a small ladder to get onto the passenger deck. Not suitable for transporting anyone injured. Before you get excited about the mention of a ladder it is only a three rung ladder [probably only a few few long]

Virtually every airline that I can think of business and first class reclining seats are all electrically powered. so not a lot of use without aircraft power, as you would not be able to make them into flat beds.