PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MPL experiences from students
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2020, 23:19
A320LGW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding the topic of MPL v ATPL, I think it's one for the trainers to answer as they are the ones who see both sets of students. As an ATPL student I can only comment how it felt following my path onto an airline type rating. For me personally I have a very set and firm idea of handling in my mind and it was built into me in initial training, particularly with regard crosswind landings and "seat of the pants" feel and all round awareness. The picture has always been clear for me when flying.

From talking to line trainers about how they find MPL cadets or anecdotal evidence from their colleagues at airlines who have a lot of MPL cadets come through, it is overwhelmingly negative. The pilots and hobbyists almost always seem to be set apart when storm *insert name* shows up, it is more often than not a one man show those days with MPL guys I have always been told. Aileron use in particular during crosswind landings comes up a lot, many don't know quite know what they are supposed to be doing with it or the rudder.

Could it be due to lack of real aircraft experience in less than favourable conditions? Flying 25kts across in a light SEP in the early days sure did lay the foundations quite nicely from personal experience anyway.