PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USN Seek F-35C Surrogate Training Aircraft
Old 29th Nov 2020, 14:59
OK465

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: the T-38 companion trainers

USAF switch to dual-track training from T-37/T-38 universal pilot concept for all (USN also utilizes dual-track) took the TTB track students from T-37/T-6 into T-1s for advanced training. FAT track students flew T-38s, next up T-7s. (USN used C-12s/T-1s for P-3/P-8/COD or E-6 types and T-45s for the fighter types.) Lots of good CRM training in T-1s.

It's humorous to me that USAF has to put the bomber types back in the T-38 to get what they really want, notably before even getting into the lowly co-pilot seat to use that wonderful CRM stuff. But they've done currency companions for years....BUFFs had T-38 companions, Tankers used T-37s. Previously in the interest of reduced $$$, not necessarily upgraded skills, just not reduced skills....enrichment?.

And re: simulation/synthetics

It's very possible these days that some of the simulation doubters flew as passengers on an airliner where the first landing was the new captain's first landing in the actual aircraft type. And with High Level Architecture Linking, all those extra airmanship promoting features (Realistic wx as well as ATC/AWACS/GCI, random traffic, etc.) can be synched and incorporated in the multi-cockpit simulations.

But I also think it's questionable for front-line fighter drivers not to be in the primary aircraft for at least 30 hours a month (ha ha), maybe as low as 20 with quality simulations available. I got 8600 mil actual fighter/trainer hours in 24 years which comes out to average 29.8 hours a month....just about right.

And I don't think it's prudent to put only 2nd tour folks in F-35s, you need the lower grade types to tend the squadron coffee bar (and in the old days stock the beer cooler).