PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Aware or SkyEcho?
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2020, 12:21
Forfoxake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by horizon flyer
AS a further point I believe I am correct that to detect both C/S transponders requires ground support in the form of a ground radar triggering the transponder to transmit. ADS-B from technical spec I think is the only standalone system with no ground support needed. I think if starting from nothing the cheapest is PAW see everything with ground support for FLARM and mode S bearing plus a transponder with ADS-B out covers all bases. An SE2 if a transponder is already fitted with no ADS-B. What do you all think?
I believe TCAS operates independently of ground support but, of course, the cost is prohibitive.

Aside from that, unless you have a transponder capable of ADS-B out, I agree with you, As I said before:

"Although I am a great fan of PowerFLARM, and have had it for several years, I agree that the best solution atm is SE2 and PAW, displayed on Skydemon or similar and with audio alerts.

(unless you are in an area with lots of gliders or outwith an area covered by the OGN-R network)"

I have recently purchased SE2 and initial tests in my mainly steel tube and fabric aircraft have indicated that it is not picked up by the local OGN-R (ATOM) ground stations as well as either PAW or PowerFLARM transmissions. Imho, it would be better if SE2 had an external antenna connection (external to the set, not necessarily to the aircraft). However, I am still experimenting with the position of SE2 in the cockpit. In any event, the ADS-B out transmissions might be picked up fine by other aircraft in the air, which is the whole point!