PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic Boeing 747 History
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2020, 10:35
WHBM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Another off-topic tale (sorry, original poster !). Back in the 1990s there was an aviation enthusiasts etc bookshop on the main King Street in Twickenham, just a couple of miles from Heathrow, I think run by a man called Smith. By its position it also got a fair number from the industry come through. Smith was one of those characters who liked to tell lengthy stories that sounded rather improbable but later turned out to be correct. He said that one day a few years before, so 1980s, he had several browsers in his shop when in came Freddie Laker, after Laker Airways went under, who came in from time to time. They got into conversation about what he was doing. "Come to see a 747, aircraft xxxx, thinking of doing something with it" says Freddie. Voice from a book browser at the back of the shop "If I were you I wouldn't touch xxxx, it's a right Lemon". Sudden silence. Fred goes over, introductions, and they have a lengthy word.

Now I said, hearing this, that Fred never ran 747s. "No, he was advising someone else" was the answer. But it all fits for dates, Freddie, long-established aircraft trader from pre-Laker Airways days (Aviation Traders Ltd at Southend) now being a consultant, it just being the time when Randolph Fields was looking at the market (possibly even for Virgin at its startup, or shortly after for HEX), and a 747 which was indeed "a right Lemon". Anyone else remember that shop ?

Last edited by WHBM; 29th Nov 2020 at 10:52.