PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Smartwings B738 over Aegean Sea on Aug 22nd 2019
Old 29th Nov 2020, 05:26
megan

Received 426 Likes on 217 Posts
once in the SIM, I was PF when we had an engine failure in the cruise whilst somewhere over the Greek islands. I elected - and my Cap agreed - to fly to Athens rather than land on one of said islands............The TRE criticised my decision to go to Athens in the de-brief, and no doubt he was right, but I think my reasons were also valid
Contained within the report, I'll fly with you Uplinker based on the context of your post rather than the TRE
In selecting the nearest suitable airport, the pilot-in-command should consider the suitability of nearby airports in terms of facilities and weather and their proximity to the airplane position. The pilot-in-command may determine, based on the nature of the situation and an examination of the relevant factors, that the safest course of action is to divert to a more distant airport than the nearest airport. For example, there is not necessarily a requirement to spiral down to the airport nearest the airplane's present position if, in the judgment of the pilot-in-command, it would require equal or less time to continue to another nearby airport