PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you do it again?
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2020, 21:38
Muhammad Antar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capt Pit Bull

Why is it then that pretty much every pilot made redundant this summer became a delivery driver? Aviation gives you zero transferable skills for use outside aviation.

People need to know what flying is really like, it’s boring, unsociable shift work that you have to pay a huge premium for the privilege of doing.

I look back 10 years at when I was in my office job in a big company in a large city, I got up at a regular sociable time, I had routine, I could make arrangements with family/friends, I had dynamic days at work where I would be constantly learning new things, attending courses, giving presentations, bettering myself on a daily basis professionally. I worked in a large office with lots of people, there were always social events going on, work sports clubs, drinks, gatherings. I was learning to fly at the time as well because I had a real passion for aviation.

fast forward 10 years, I’m LHS LCC, I know I haven’t flown much over summer, but generally speaking; the lack of routine makes fitting anything in my life much harder, the 3am starts are no doubt shaving years off my life. The times I am home I’m normally so shagged from the stupid hours I work I’m no good as a husband/father. Try looking after youngsters then set your alarm for 3am. I hardly know any captains at work, I know the FOs really well, mostly nice chaps but 15 years younger than me. I’m hardly going to go to the pub with them. The few work socials there are I tend to know so few people it’s not that fun. 99% of a normal working day I get to interact with 1 person. The environment is horrible, noise, dirt, dry air, radiation etc. The work is mundane and boring, you’ll soon realise it doesn’t matter where you fly, you’re just flying from 1 bit of tarmac to another, Belfast or Budapest, who cares? You repeat SOPs to the point where your mouth is saying them but your brain isn’t even paying attention. Yes I get paid well, less so now with COVID, but it’s such a dull life. I read about my ex-colleagues who are doing amazing things in my old company, rising the ranks, learning new skills, constantly developing and evolving and compare it to being a taxi driver. Oh and if you had a passion for aviation before flying it’ll be gone in a year or two. I couldn’t think of anything worse now than paying to sit in an aeroplane. I wouldn’t recommend this job at the best of times, now you must be mad to start it.

also in 10 years this job probably won’t exist, or certainly be single pilot. Airbus are already doing research into removing one of the flight crew.

Last edited by Muhammad Antar; 29th Nov 2020 at 07:29.