PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you do it again?
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2020, 20:14
Lew747

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having wanted to fly airliners since I was 9 years old, I grew up playing flight simulator, geeking out on the classic ITVV documentaries and building airfix models. Typical of many...the best part of any family holiday was always the flight! It was all I wanted to do and every decision I made from that age steered me towards that direction. From the GCSE and A-Level subjects I chose at school, joining the air cadets and getting a gliding scholarship through GAPAN. Every book, movie and magazine I owned always involved aviation. I had an absolute burning desire to fly.

I always wanted to fly airliners, But having gained my PPL from a young age I never thought it would materialise, I honestly thought I would end up becoming an FI and instructing at weekends. Something I would of been more than happy doing as I loved flying and being around airplanes. However, I was extremely lucky and echoing ‘right place, right time’, I was able to join a major European airline at the age of 25.

I say ‘lucky’ as there is always an element of luck, but also a lot of hard work and determination. I self funded my PPL and CPL/IR and studied for my ATPL’s distance learning whilst working a full time job- studying in the afternoons and weekends.

But would I do it again? YES with one difference: learn a skill set outside of aviation.

I find it an absolute privilege to go to work and fly professionally for a living. Having spent the best part of a decade saving every penny towards a modular route makes you appreciate it all the more. I had worked in a different industry beforehand, doing long hours outside in the wet and cold and it makes me never take my flying job for granted.

However, this year has made me realise more than ever how fragile the industry is. The most volatile of the volatile. I knew what I was getting into having read PPRuNe as a young teenager (there was just as much depression as there is today!) I wish I had studied for something at university or something more practical like being in the tools. I’ve worked all my life towards my goal and this year it was almost taken from me, and next year is worrying too as to whether I’ll have a job still or not. None of the skills I’ve acquired as a professional pilot will ever be of any use in the real world. A fact I’ve slowly come to terms with.

HOWEVER,

All well and good saying hindsight is a wonderful thing. But what would I have studied or learnt before embarking on a flying career when it was (and still is) my one true passion in life. All well and good asking people to get some training or another career beforehand but how can you succeed when your mind and heart isn’t set on it? I always remembered an old quote when I was studying for my ATPL’s from Will Smith...“there is no need for a Plan B as it distracts from Plan A“