PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QantasLink trainee first officer...
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2020, 00:30
neville_nobody

Received 151 Likes on 66 Posts
Or is it true that everyone eventually finds a flying gig somewhere at some point?
I was referring to making it into airlines rather than just out of flight school. From what I have seen, if you hang in there long enough you will get a break eventually at every level in the industry as you go along. The question though is do you still want to be battling it out in GA 10 years after you started because that is a real possibility now. There already has been a thread on the subject of "is it all worth it?" I suggest you go have a read through that too.

On saying that I am of the opinion that there will be a demographic crunch in about 10 years as large scale retirements meet a lack of supply of younger pilots.

I wonder just how many guys like me that graduate from flight school ultimately never find any work. Do you have any idea?
All the guys that were serious I went through with ended up in airlines. However you have to be serious about it, if you are not and just think it's like a 'normal' job you will never make it. What personal cost are you are willing to pay I think is the question you need to ask. It will mean moving house, living where you don't want to live, poor pay and conditions strain on relationships (including family and friends) etc. Whether it is all worth it I think is become a more difficult question to answer and will probably see decrease in the number of people taking up the profession. As I alluded to earlier there is no real guarantee that your hard work actually counts for anything either.

Last edited by neville_nobody; 28th Nov 2020 at 03:30.