PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A340-600
Thread: A340-600
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2003, 01:23
SLuca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zeke

I don't think the numbers you provided for pax capacity are meaningful : you have to make the capacity comparison using similar density ( square area per pax) When you do so, you get about 25% more passengers in a 744 than an A346.
You can check my numbers by looking at Airbus & Boeing's website. Note than for the A346 three classes config., Airbus uses only 12 FC seats & 54 BC seats whereas Boeing uses 23 FC seats & 78 BC seats. That's why you have to use a common measure such as square area per pax since it is roughly what drives the revenue generated per pax in each class.

For cargo capacity, I did not use the relative volume per pax but the total cargo volume instead. Inevitably, since the 744 has an upper deck & since the cargo volume is roughly driven by the lenght of the aircraft, it will have less cargo volume per pax than a single deck plane such as the 773 or the A346.
Interestingly, the A380 has even less total cargo capacity than the 744, & the ratio cargo volume/pax is awfully low.
IMO, Airbus should consider offering an optional flying trailer to offset the A380 lack of cargo space.