PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is automation dependency encouraged in modern aviation ?
Old 26th Nov 2020, 23:02
dr dre

Received 357 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by theFirstDave
I am a (retired) Controls Electrical Engineer (Sr. Controls and Instrumentation). I designed and implement mega-million dollar systems. But I also know how to wire panels, bend conduit and solder breadboards. My job didn't need me to do it, but as I came up through the ranks (starting as an electrician) I kept my skills up. Others never acquired the manual skills as they jumped from college to design.

I am also a Private Pilot. All my flying is manual. I use VOR's, no ATH, no AP, no FD. Yes, at sometimes I am near overload. I won't fly into some places without a second set of hands / eyes with me. The most amount of automation I have is a Garmin GPS that also will warn me of terrane.

So, how to get the ATP guy some experience other than engaging AP at 400' and just twirling dials until you're on short final? Get yourself in a a piston plane (SE or light twin) and haul VFR around the LAX area. That'll get your PIC skills a workout and give you a boat load of situation awareness, energy management experience and more.

At the very least, it'll be fun again.
Why do I get the feeling the real purpose of this thread is for non-airline and non-commercial pilots to boast they are “real pilots” and airline pilots are nothing more than children of magenta? To sneer down and smugly educate your airline brethren as if they cannot fly anymore? Are you guys jealous on missing out on the big leagues?

As far as lack of hand flying goes, I say it’s not a problem. There is little hand flying value to be gained anyway when the aircraft is in a stable climb or descent. The real value of manual manipulation skills are shown on an approach onto a short runway in gusty, wind shear or variable wind conditions. Hit the main gear on the markers and then exit first available taxiway as there’s another aircraft close up your backside. Won’t be able to do that unless you have good manual skills, yet airline pilots do it everyday all over the world without applause, even the so called “children of magenta”. I’d say less than 0.5% of landings are Autoland, and a auto land is pretty useless in all but the calmest wind conditions anyway.

In my opinion the biggest problems encountered on the flight deck are non technical factors, pilots with bad attitudes and poor teamwork skills, they totally dwarf any bad issues that exist with manual flying.

I think there’s too much bashing of airline pilots nowadays, primarily motivated by jealousy or maybe an older generation who just can’t let go of their glory days.