PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2020, 18:52
SLXOwft

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Not_a_boffin
The important part will be the capability beyond those two - in other words are replacements in the long-term shipbuilding programme? I suspect not.
And is dependent on agreeing there will be a need to deliver an actually amphibious force. (i.e. not just by helicopter / tiltrotor) of reasonable size. If they are replaced will the lesson that Al Faw "demonstrated the utility of hovercraft in amphibious landings." be implemented with an LCAC-100 size ACV for them to carry? Playing fantasy fleets, the real need would be for two and preferably three Bougainville type LHAs but as the cost would be close to that for another two of our medium size aircraft carriers it's not going to happen. The running costs of the Albion class is its Achilles Heel and will have to be addressed if there is a replacement. Call me a fool but two landing spots and no hangar doesn't make sense to me - a San Antonio style ship would have made much more sense but @6 times the cost of an Albion not in the UK's reach. Did they not think much beyond a Fearless-alike?

Last edited by SLXOwft; 1st Dec 2020 at 13:28. Reason: Belated proof read