PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fire and overhear detectors (firewires) out of resistance.
Old 26th Nov 2020, 18:33
MAC 40612

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by johnsmith0774
A380 AMM ref:

TASK 36-22-00-600-801-A Wetting current procedure
Yes, this thread has been dormant for a good number of years but your original post was about firewire on a Boeing 747, so rather pointless to highlight a manual reference from a completely different aircraft type that has a different firewire system. There was never anything like that in the Boeing 747 manual and believe me given the number of firewires I had apart on Boeing 747s in the past and the number of times I had to climb into the engine core to find and rectify faults, I would have loved it if that were a legitimate way to work. By meggering the system, you never fixed the fault [it would temporarily dry out any moisture in the connections] it would always reappear at a later time, so although you might have got the aircraft away, it just meant someone else would eventually have to fix it properly when it failed again [which it always would] as you could not be bothered to fix it properly. Quite a lot of the time on a Boeing 747 it was a case of moisture in the connections as the crush washer hadn't been properly tightened down or had been overtightened [so not making a proper seal] Sometimes it could be even stranger reasons. I once noticed a connection on a B747 firewire that only seemed to be on one thread, only to find that although tight, whoever had it apart before either didn't realise the old crush washer was in there or couldn't get it out, so just fitted a second one over the top.