PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 100 years of Aviation,your best memory?
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2003, 00:05
tharg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahhh - Mr Padhist - the Tiger Moth

Unforgettable experience for me involved quite unexpected chance to fly in one of Mr D.H.'s finest as 'talking ballast' in front seat with v. highly qualified pilot behind. While following M-25 eastwards, he put me in control and, while struggling to keep the Tiger straight if not level, I saw a Chipmunk approaching on our reciprocal. Safe lateral separation, about 1000yds. Nevertheless, started to edge Tiger away in opposite direction because the Chippie was rocking its wings. Rear-seat took control saying, "I think the Chippie wants to play. Are you OK for that?"

Instinctively said "Yes... play what?"

Back seat (rocking wings of Tiger): "World War Two dogfights. Yehaaaar!" At which the world suddenly went upside down, and land and sky were in a variety of over, under and into places that I did not believe could exist. Rolled, looped, even a stall-turn (I think - something to do with countering Chippie's Immelman). Every second of the experience lives with me - bloody marvellous - but it did not escape me that, in 1940, young men were doing this for real, right where I was, with reals guns in place of a bloke in back of Tiger shouting "Dugga Dugga Dugga. Got 'im".

Back seat informed me that "We won" - couldn't have cared less - I was there and did it.