PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NDB only timed approaches
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2020, 09:34
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Genghis the Engineer
Reminds me of taking my instructor initial skill test out of a somewhat unfamiliar airfield. Five minutes after take-off I realised that I had lost positional awareness. So I turned to my examiner, who was pretending to be my student at that point "So Bloggs, can you tell me where we are right now?", he went into a textbook description of nearby roads and towns and told me exactly where I was, "Well done Bloggs, now onto the first exercise"....

G
That, G t E, as a fellow Instructor (now lapsed) is quick-witted style!!! Absolutely love it!!!!

My CPL GFT also took place from an "unfamiliar airfield". I rang the Examiner, as briefed if he had been delayed and not got in by a certain time, to get the route from him. But that revealed a small snagette.

I was booked into the Flypro to fly the GFT from airfield "A". The route he gave me started at airfield "B" some 70+ miles away and which I'd never even been near let alone to. But that was where he was waiting for me to pitch up, complete with an A/C, to do my Planning followed by the Flight!

The reason I'd never been there is mainly as it was behind a wall of impenetrable CAS ...... policed by fire-breathing ATCOs with an endless supply of MOR forms ..... and which was renowned as "Infringement City" - so the very careful dog-leg required added maybe 20+ miles to the above! No pressure there then!!!

The Ops guys at "A" did a great job springing my A/C early so I could fly at Vne (+ some!) to where my Examiner was waiting. Fortunately, I arrived in time to do my second Route Plan of the day and it all worked out OK .... the ATCO-dragons had continued to sleep soundly as I whizzed past their lair! But I was rather relieved the Examiner didn't ask for the paperwork to do with the first flight tho!

Happy daze!!!! H 'n' H

Last edited by Hot 'n' High; 26th Nov 2020 at 09:36. Reason: Do I get a prize for thread-creep? ;-)