PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2020, 08:21
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I was expecting there to be a NATO exercise this year that involved simulating a transatlantic convoy, but I must have missed it when it took place in February. Mea culpa!

USS Eisenhower Leads Exercise To Clear Atlantic Shipping Lanes

PENTAGON: Since its surprise deployment last week, the USS Eisenhower has been clearing a path for cargo ships full of Army equipment bound for major ground exercise in Europe, the first drill simulating a contested crossing of the Atlantic since 1986, Navy officials say.

The Ike, along with an unidentified submarine sweeping the depths of the ocean for unexpected Russian guests, is participating in an exercise that will throw simulated attacks at the convoy to stress test how prepared the Navy is to punch its way across the Atlantic. The path is being cleared for the roll-on/roll-off USNS Benavidez, along with US-flagged merchant vessels MV Resolve and MV Patriot, which departed Beaumont, Texas Feb. 24 to deliver equipment to the US Army DEFENDER 20 exercise in Europe. The ships are carrying gear for the 1st Armored Division, including Abrams tanks, Bradley Fighting Vehicles, and other heavy armor.

“The Atlantic has changed dramatically over the last 20 years,” 2nd Fleet’s director of operations, Cmdr. Troy Denison told reporters Friday. “It’s not what it used to be. We treat it as contested waters now.”

I look forward to seeing our carriers taking part in this sort of exercise, or a NATO amphibious exercise.

Last edited by WE Branch Fanatic; 26th Nov 2020 at 19:32.