PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2020, 08:09
Expressflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yeehaw22
If I was in an "at risk" category or over 80 then yes I'd be banging on the door for the vaccine obviously. The short term benefits far outweigh any potential long term issues.
But take myself for instance, I'm in a category that takes up less than 1% of total deaths and the mortality rate of the disease in general is far less than 1%.​​​
Yes, the risk to you is small but there is more to being vaccinated than just protecting yourself. If you are vaccinated you greatly reduce the risk that you may catch the virus and pass it on to someone else; maybe someone like me for whom it is a much more dangerous proposition.

Scenario 1: I've been vaccinated with the Oxford vaccine and am 70% protected. I sit next to you on a flight for 4 hours and you have the virus and I happen to be in the 30% for whom the vaccine does not work so I catch the virus from you.

Scenario 2: We've both had the Oxford vaccine injections so the chances of you having the virus is much lower and I'm much less likely to contract it from contact with you.

I would certainly feel happier with Scenario 2. I know it's not proven that you cannot carry the virus after having been vaccinated but that is a different discussion point.