PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow Engineering Hangars
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2020, 21:18
MAC 40612

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EyesToTheSkies
Where was the runway canteen and Hatton Cross canteen? I attended an interview in '92 for a 1 year industrial placement with BA. I remember they took us to lunch somewhere (ground floor) that was near the holding point for one of the runways. Was it somewhere near Viscount House? I also remember the interview being on the top floor of a hangar, overlooking the bays with 747s. Could this only have been TBJ/TBK for 747s? An excellent book I can recommend is "Heathrow: From Tents to Terminal 5" by Ian Anderson. It focuses mainly on the buildings rather than the aircraft of Heathrow.
The Runway canteen was the one on the Threshold of 28L, later 27L in the area as circled in the photo below. There was a small garden/green area out the front of the canteen you could get an even better view from, as long as you had earplugs [Note the Concorde obviously wasn't there at that point!] The Hatton Cross club/canteen was in the patch of at the end of Viscount Way on the other side of the road to the Barclay's Bank at Hatton Cross.

You are correct that offices with a view down into the Boeing 747 bays would probably have been in TBJ. If it was an office above TBK you would only have seen one bay as the other bay [Bay3] was a paint bay and the windows were blanked off.