PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Chinook 40 Years
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2020, 11:51
NutLoose

Received 2,893 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by 4mastacker
Mrs 4ma was doing her PA to the Station Commander stuff when she took a call from Boscombe Down asking her to kindly inform the Station Commander that one of the new Chinooks had inadvertently dropped an underslung load from the centre hook during lifting trials and would he be so kind as to return the call.

Heard about the very nice tool kits but I don't recall them even getting as far as Supply Sqn. Can't have been us anyway, as our resident tea-leaf had already been sent down for three and a half years a few months earlier. There were no dodgy practices and everything was squeaky clean and legit such was the impact of the earlier goings-on.
I remember that incident with the Stores hasp and clasp.. As for Chinook loads, I think we had a Humber pig / Saracen or similar to use as an underslung load and because the Chinook having not being cleared to lift the weight of it we were tasked to saw lumps off it to bring it into the lifting capability at the time... After a lot of sweat, blood and tears it was Armour plating one... box of hacksaw blades zero and that idea was binned.

So many good people gone sigh.... Arthur ( 1/2R ) Mitchell, Chris Taylor.... remembered at this anniversary.