PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie SAS report
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2020, 07:12
Richard Dangle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^

I generally enjoy your posts Bob, so don't get too bent out of shape here...

If you refer to Blackouts post, I think he makes a perfectly good point. It depends on what theoretical or philosophical level you wish to enter the argument.

(And I have 27 years military background and a Masters Degree in International Relations, so I'm comfortable with my footing here).

I am struck by the overall lack of context in this discussion, although some posters have made worthwhile efforts to broaden it. I would recommend for context some of the more graphic accounts of the behaviour of US solidiers (generally very young draftees with very limited training from very poor backgrounds). Once such A Hard Rain Falls details acts against civilians that will turn the hardest stomach. There are many other books of the same ilk.

And it is worth noting that the eventual collapse of discipline within US ground forces in Vietnam, with the continual rise in drug use and "fragging" their own officers, also gives a context to the arguments that "the leaders should have had a better grip". Hard to follow up on that when the brutal 19 year old killers you have so successfully trained are just as likely to turn their weaponary on their own. Not saying this happened in this instance...I'm only trying to give context here.

My point is simply this. All these acts are a consequence of warfare. They always have been (I live in Scotland, most of the towns near me have had their civilian populations put to the sword at one time or another) and they always will be.

In no way am I condoing these acts...they are crimes and in a lawful society they must be prosecuted and punished.

I am merely pointing out that in the context of military action they are not out of the ordinary. They have happened in every large scale conflict (define that as you will) throughout history and they will continue to happen in everyone in the future.

Therefore there must always be accountability for those that send soldiers into battle on behalf of their societies (usually politicians). The more accountable we hold these politicians through the democratic process, the more discerning their decisions will be.

Education is a key part of this process (as it so nearly always is).

Hence my post and my point. Looked at from the very top of the philosophical debate, Blackout's point is not only entirely valid...it is one of the most pertinent in this entire thread.

Last edited by Richard Dangle; 25th Nov 2020 at 07:26.