PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas vaccine. IATA Health Passport.
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2020, 23:45
b1lanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Less Hair
This vaccine has been rushed to availability and not been carefully examined like had been required before. The sudden presentation of at least two vaccines seems to correlate to the US presidential election. Maybe it was rushed again to be available in time? While I agree that some fully developed vaccination will make a lot of sense it is warranted to be sceptical about what is made available right now. To try to force it on people with all the known shortcuts that had to be taken is even wilder.

It feels a bit like those aircraft rushed through development in WW2. Having known deficits but built by the thousands anyway.
Might call this the Max vaccine keeping in mind that all pharmaceutical companies are profit driven just like B.

The word rush is open to interpretation. Looking back at the Salk and Sabin tests, the studies were of short duration relatively speaking - some might have called them rushed in retrospect. I got the shot and the sugar cube. I would say I'm less concerned about the rush to develop it (wish they could cure cancer with that kind of effort), but more concerned with the rush to manufacture and distribute and there is precedent for that concern. The Cutter production issues of Salk is one example.

I doubt a few major pharmaceuticals will be able to push out the quantity required world wide, so out-sourcing is likely. Who produces the concoction that they want to inject into my family? Are they going to sub to New England Compounding (might want to read that episode in 2012 in which people getting epidurals wound up with meningitis - 100 died of 14,000 administered - a bit more significant percentage than the 1 in 100,000 that seems to be the norm quoted everywhere for severe adverse reactions)? Quality control then becomes an important metric, the data for which likely won't surface for some time due to the vast amounts of potential injectees. And one can never discount the potential for permanent risk (Swine Flu and GBS - see CDC website on historical safety).

Scientists aren't infallible (except for Einstein maybe). Corporations are immensely capable of mistakes in judgement, faulty production, and design. We have always reviewed efficacy vs. risk in administration of 'new' vaccines. Yes, our 5 kids got MMR and DPT, but we drew the line initially on Chicken Pox. Our 3 oldest got it on their own accord. Our two youngest received the vaccine or we would have had to home school them. We have no idea if that was a prudent decision and only decades after we are gone, will the data likely be available to confirm.

I contracted encephalitis when younger. Of the 12 cases diagnosed in my state that year, I was the only person to survive. Ruined my flying career but oh well. Now, it really is beyond belief but I can get an encephalitis vaccine for my horses but not for me. Why not? Profit and they put the word equine in front of it.

Working in a military environment where everyone gets every vaccine known to mankind prior to deployment, the results are unclear. I have heard some horror stories. I will say I do not trust the Government to make health decisions on my families behalf. To have an airline CEO make that decision for me is beyond the pale. Suffice to say, we will never fly again by choice - and that is sad - I love to fly but not enough to show my medical records prior to boarding.