PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas vaccine. IATA Health Passport.
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2020, 23:16
swh

Eidolon

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PilotLZ
It's not a unique situation. From some decades ago until present days, many countries have always had a requirement for any entrant or visa applicant to have certain vaccines. In many other countries, certain vaccines are mandatory for children to attend school. Some vaccines or proof of being free of certain communicable diseases are also among the requirements to apply for citizenship or a residence permit in many countries. The COVID one will be just another one, not something unique and unprecedented.
I still have my WHO international certificate of vaccination for yellow fever, the vaccination is not very effective as still find Asians attractive.

Originally Posted by derjodel
Here's the thing: vaccines are not 100% safe. The argument that the benefits out-weight the cost is not ethical, as in reality it is saying: it is acceptable to either kill or severely cripple few for the benefit of the many.
It is true that some people have serious side effects to vaccines, be those people with egg allergies and the flu shot or others. What is disingenuous is that vaccines are administered under medical supervision. They would either have to wait in the surgery for a period of time after receiving the vaccination and then told if any sort of reaction takes place to to call an ambulance.

Originally Posted by davidjohnson6
If there is evidence that the vaccine significantly reduces the level of infectiousness, then there is a much stronger argument for requiring all pax to be vaccinated. However, I haven't see that evidence. Has anybody else ?
A vaccine does not make a virus any less virulent, what it does is prevents one infected person to cause widespread infections as more people they come in contact with either have immunity for having the virus or have been vaccinated do not become infected. It is unlikely that that community infection rate will be zero, however the community transmission rate will be far lower. Where vaccines will save more lives is for people people who come in contact with those in higher risk, if they have been vaccinated they will not transmit the virus to those who are most vulnerable, and may themselves be unable to get vaccinated.

Originally Posted by 302szd55
A question not yet raised on here is Insurance. Next year I can well imagine that travel insurance companies will have separate policies (more expensive?) for people who choose not to be vaccinated, as they will pose a greater risk of falling ill whilst on their Summer trip to the sun. This may change a few minds.
The insurance companies may simply decline to provide insurance unless a vaccination record is obtained prior to travel. They already do similar when traveling to countries where diseases are known and vaccinations are available, they won’t cover you. They may for example cover someone to NZ that hasn’t been vaccinated however not cover travel to the US.