PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S76A++ end of the road????
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2020, 17:16
noooby

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by malabo
20 years ago we were costing the A++ at $1100/hr when bidding contracts, but they were the old phase 2 and didn't have the expensive bits of the C++ like DECU, EFIS, IIDS, FDC.
Helicopters seem to age out in some countries/markets and not in others. Lots of old 212's, 412's, 76's still working here, and yet the local "money-no-object" medvac charities that bought the latest and greatest fleet of AW139 have dumped them all now in favour of even newer EC145 (Noooby, any insights?). Hell, a couple days ago I overheard an old Bell 47 call sign that I had done training in 30 years ago that was still out there beating the sky for a living. Wondered how old it was and it turned out to be 68 (1952 manufacture). So that 76A++ in good nick still has a long run ahead of it.
When the Provincial Govt give you an EC145 for free and the Federal Govt give you four EC145 for free, you find that your fleet suddenly becomes the EC145. And then the STARS CEO had to issue an apology for reporting to CBC Saskatoon that the 139's were being retired because they were "technologically outdated". Ouch. I believe Ornge are still operating the 139?