PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NDB only timed approaches
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2020, 14:18
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tdbristol
....... In both cases I would have had real problems if I had tried to land using the NDB alone. ........
They are dreadful for SA as, in theory, they get you to a point where you expect to see a certain picture when you break out but, instead, it often spits you out (for the reasons you and others note) somewhere else. OK, not far off but, given you should then be able to land off it, sometimes that's far enough to be a pain to complete the line-up on final and a rapid judgement call is needed as whether it can be flown safely or you need to fly a MA. Snap decisions are never helpful at such times!

Re NDBs en-route, a lovely story of a friend who got his first Jet job on the 727 not that long after getting his IR. Trogging North back to the UK past Portugal as PNF, they got an en-route Hold thrown at them based on an NDB. A Training Captain was PF and so suggested that this would be a good chance for his P2 to demonstrate an NDB Hold. Friend staggered and lurched a few times round the Hold dragging his 100 or so pax along in loose formation behind him before, thankfully, onward Clearance came through and, with much relief he re-established, arrow-like, outbound en route.

With a feel of impending, career-limiting, doom, he handed back to the TC while rapidly considering (a) how up to date his CV was and, (b), if he knew of any leads going in other airlines (any would do!) as he felt sure he was about to be hung out to dry by the TC. The TC turned to him after a short, but ominous, pause and said "Mmmmm, not bad, not bad ....... all I can say is ................ thank God you flew that - I wouldn't have known where to start! I just thought you, having just done your IR, would be best placed to fly that! Very well done!!!!!".

Sums NDB's up really!!!!

Last edited by Hot 'n' High; 24th Nov 2020 at 15:20.