PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Personal info available on the web!
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2003, 21:45
sittingstress

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Their names are on the database

A fine and valiant effort by the 2 blokes at Leuchars which deserves the praise it got and is definately a newsworthy story. Positive PR is always something the head honchos strive for and in it's own right is a good thing.

However, 2 FJ aircrew have now been totally compromised including the previous flying background of one of them. I know there are those out there who think all this is cloak and dagger stuff, but I assure you that when your arse is in a sling you will be just about able to behave as briefed. Any added pressure bought to bear by the knowledge, pictures etc. of personal details will make things many times worse.

PR opportunities should not be refused but they can be better managed. The guys could have had badgeless suits on and faces pixelated out, or turn their backs, or put their helmets on with the dark visor down. Identity protection of this sort is given to alleged criminals so why shouldn't you guys have the same rights. If the broadcasters refuse then boot them off the unit. If the Station PR team refuses then please direct them our unit. Your sqn CSRO will have the contact details.

I do feel stongly about this as currently the aircrew who have to fly and put themselves at risk are being let down badly by the PR machine. Remember, it will be you who may have to bear the brunt some time so please stand up to the people organising these events and demand anonymity.

This nag is bought to you not by a jobsworth, but by someone who believes passionately that what he does for a living is right in the long run and it has saved lives.

Ladies and gentlemen here endeth the sermon.