PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2020, 21:49
dr dre

Received 360 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by minigundiplomat
Dre,

Seen as you are keen to use the USA as an example, I will too. Under the CARES act, private hospitals get an additional 20% for COVID patients, and uninsured COVID patients are paid for by the federal government. If you think that's lost of private hospitals with shareholders and unconnected to the figures you quote, I have a car you might be interested in.
It sounds like you’re suggesting that US hospitals are deliberately inflating Covid numbers for cash. That is pretty much tin foil hat stuff right there. It’s also quite fake.

But maybe we should have moved to protect the vulnerable rather than running around like Chicken Little and closing all the borders and stuffing up the economy for decades; for most of us, we have a >99% chance of survival.
Who said we stuff up the economy for decades by doing it this way? I reckon the economies of nations where the virus is currently ripping through will be stuffed for longer than Australia. Economists agree:

On IMF forecasts, the economic contraction in the United States, the whole of the Euro area, the United Kingdom, and Canada will be twice that of Australia.

And the whole notion of “protecting the vulnerable” is far easier said than done.

If your at 36,000 feet and you have a problem with the plane, you don't stop flying.
If passengers onboard suddenly start having medial episodes that overwhelm the available medical supplies onboard we don’t just shrug our shoulders, say “they have underlying conditions”, and keep going to the destination whilst ignoring every alternate along the way.