PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Britannia Airways begins Leeds Bradford operations
Old 23rd Nov 2020, 15:18
ATNotts

Received 293 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Mooncrest
This was back in 1976 - not sure if it was for the summer season or winter 1976-77 - but it marked the beginning of regular IT flights to the Mediterranean from LBA operated by jets. Up until this time, IT flights were to destinations closer to home and usually flown by Viscounts and similar-sized propliners, although there were occasional Caravelles from Transavia and 737s from Mey Air and Braathens. Then, the Britannia 737s came along flying to the likes of Palma and Alicante.

What, or who, motivated Britannia (and Thomson Holidays) to come to LBA in the first place ? I expect the acquisition of the Advanced 737 was partly responsible given the 5400 ft runway back then. Was it just an ordinary business deal, was Thomson looking to expand its number of departure points? At the time, Air Europe and Orion weren't around to provide competition and none of the Dan-Air or Monarch fleets were suitable for what Britannia doing.

Thankyou.
Perhaps you have effectively answered your own question. Britannia weren't the motivator, that was the Thomson tour operation that could see a niche that they could fill and steal a march on the competition, who as you quite rightly say hadn't got access to the equipment that could offer jet service out of LBA. As a result i suspect they could charge a premium for direct LBA jet flights provided by the inhouse airline, Britannia.

I'm sure Rog747 can, and probably will provide a more in depth insight. Over to you!!