PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow North Sea
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2003, 21:21
TomBola

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So now the pay in the North Sea is so high that more people are to be made redundant - at least that's how it seems to read on other threads on this forum.
Many of us in Nigeria are much happier than we ever were in the North Sea, despite your perception of our low pay. However, many here are also now wondering about the threat of redundancy with CHC taking over ACN. The average age of pilots in ACN (as in so many places these days) is well in the 50s, with quite a few over 60 and CHC limits seem to be only 60.
Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of sympathy with those facing possible redundancy just before Christmas and I think that Bristow is nothing like the company it was in the 70s when old man Bristow knew almost all of the pilots by name. In those days the company had amongst the best loss of licence and pension schemes in the business. Unfortunately it seems that, despite what I've been reading about BALPA on another thread, they haven't really helped much, except for getting a salary increase.
I think one of the problems for all of us in the industry is the increasing demise of the smaller companies as they are all gobbled up by the big 2, OLOG and CHC. Unfortunately, going fixed wing may increase salaries, but many of my friends who are now working for the likes of My Travel are also wondering if they will be in employment next year. Longt-term job security in this industry has not improved in the last 30 years