PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 100 years of Aviation,your best memory?
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2003, 19:05
JDK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woo. This is a toughie!

I'm not a pilot, just a looker, writer and asker of nosy questions.

My personal best is as a kid, many years ago now, I was at Brounton Burrows (North Devon) in some massive dunes looking out to sea, when RR299 THE Mosquito came howling in from the sea and overhead inland. I’ve seen this Mossie on countless occasions and the tragic loss of her crew is still difficult to accept, but for me that’s what flying, not static aviation is all about. It was about 10sec total, but it’s unforgettable. I was suddenly like a small boy in Holland, 1942. Ave atque vale. Thanks for the memories.

To stand with a group of veterans and see the Lanc, that's to see a real memorial. The BBMF are never taken for granted when seen in the sky. Lest we forget indeed.

However, what's also special, important and not often recorded is to give thanks to all those airshow display pilots who are no longer with us - this list is too long and too depressing to record, but even just this year's toll is hard to accept. Thanks chaps; the price may not have been worth it to you, but I for one, appreciate that you aviated for our pleasure.

Those with us? Lots - but Ray Hanna flying MH434 at '434s 50th Brithday Party - man, machine, military and display history - and as ever , a classic Ray display.

Flights? Well, I count as SLF - so I'll start with flying to Aus aboard VH-OJA, 747. So what? Standing in the queue to the toilets and seeing a plaque that this was the recordbreaking 747-400 of the UK - Aus non-stop flight. How unexpected is that?

Flights aboard Rapide G-AIDL at Biggin, Ju52 'D-AQUI' from Bristol to Bornmouth, Lockheed 10A CF-TCC from Rockliffe Ont, are just three standout flights in 'classic' machines. A 'hop' over Melbourne in a Learjet coutesy of Mike Falls, and a hop over Toronto in the generic 172 thanks to Doug Norris are two 'gee look at that' flights as well.

On the 17th, I'm off to Old Warden. For me there's more aeronautical history there than anywhere else, and as they used to say 'Time flies at Old Warden'.

Here's to the next 100 of history!

Cheers
James