PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N1 - 0, N2 - 0 (737 argument with an instructor)
Old 22nd Nov 2020, 03:46
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
The result of this mentality is we have carefully scripted simulator checks where everything is rehearsed well before the event
It may be an Australian thing to cover once's backside in event a CASA audit.

In another era I did some contract simulator training on the 737NG with the then SAS Flight Academy at Arlanda airport in Sweden. Instructors were encouraged to use their experience within reason and time permitting to add the occasional non-jeopardy exercise. By chance I was training two experienced former Israeli pilots for their type rating on the 737NG. Both were 747 captains who had bid down to fly the new 737NG rather than spend a life in long haul.

Both had flown Mirage fighter bombers on war operations with the Israeli Air Force. They certainly knew how to fly. Midway through the type rating we were ahead of schedule and I asked if they would like to practice a tight low level circuit to see how quickly they could get on the ground given a terrorist event on board. After all, these threats were not unknown in their part of the world.

From lift-off, into a close-in circuit to stopping after touchdown, started with five minutes. With further practice both pilots were able to takeoff and land the 737 in under two minutes from lift off. Under these emergency conditions there was no time for checklists or the niceties of TEM and CRM. They both flew superbly and were so impressed with this exercise and its applicability to a war zone operation, their airline El Al Israeli Airline introduced this low level tight circuit into the training syllabus. .