PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie SAS report
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2020, 20:27
langleybaston

Received 718 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Chugalug2
Some very ambivalent attitudes being expressed here. One of the most important rules drummed into us when in basic training was that you had a duty to obey all legal orders, but only legal orders. Not doing so leads to bad things happening to good order and discipline and to those who suffer the effects of any illegal acts. Not only were we not to obey illegal orders but we were duty bound to report them up the CoC. They didn't actually issue government advice that, "Caution! Acting in this manner may well adversely affect your career prospects", but it was clear that is the case. Tough! Your duty is your duty, and if you are not prepared to carry it out then you are part of the problem and should just go.

Likening the cold blooded executing of bound prisoners, fighters or not, to the RAF bombing German cities in WWII is so wrong that anyone serving who shares that view should again just go. Harris might have been nicknamed Butcher but that was a comment on the losses sustained by his aircrew. He and they carried out the legal orders of the wartime coalition government. That he and they were betrayed by the then PM, and by the post-war government, is a comment on the politicians involved as well as of his fellow RAF VSOs. Bomber Command has been an easy Aunt Sally to aim at, especially by those who haven't served but are 'against war'. The words cake and eat come to mind!
Masterful. Brief, cogent, logical.

I wish that I had written it. I certainly agree.

Bravo sir.