PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fuel Gauges
Thread: Fuel Gauges
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2003, 18:03
BigEndBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The pilot should always be the last one to check and fasten the fuel caps even after refuelling, then he has only himself to blame if they come off in flight.

I once ran a fuel tank dry on a TB10, took a few moments to realise what was going on.
Having been distracted by an aircraft being towed and needing to get past me at the hold forgot to change to the higher tank for dep.! One hour into flight the engine started to stop.
i may have noticed the lack of fuel in that tank if the fuel gauges at worked. They always read 1/4 full.
I knew the fuel gauges were faulty and they are built as one unit with i think from memory oil press./temp gauges. The unit was going to cost £1000 to replace back in 1992.
So as a club we just put up with it.
A disaster waiting to happen.

We would'nt put up with a us airspeed indicator so why to be put up with crappy fuel gauge systems. I've known Cessna fuel gauges show full when empty and virca versa. This usually happens when the refueller accidentlty pressurises the tank by not releasing the nozzle handle quick enough because not paying attention to the fact the fuel is reaching the top of the tank.
All the cars i have driven have always had very reliable fuel gauge systems. But there again most of those aren't 25 yrs old.