PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why I Love Being an Aircraft Engineer
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2020, 10:29
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by slowto280
Hopefully not to 'corny'. Here I am in my 'twilight years', still in aviation after over 45 years, teaching at an A&P mechanic school in the US.

Attempting to motivate new students, I'm looking for input from folks on what has made them happy to be in aviation as an Aircraft Engineer - what type jobs. My aviation career has been mostly in the air - F/E and pilot, but began as an A&P (US Navy first). I know there are so many different jobs Engineers (A&P's in US) can hold. One of my 'favorites' is the job the guy that puts out VIP B777 youtube videos as (I am sure) a fly along mechanic has.

I am hoping to gather enough inputs from PPRUNE to copy and paste into a document to pass out to the students in an attempt to motivate them. It's a different world out there and I'm thinking if I was able to (easily) gather peoples inputs (about great aviation gigs) and motivate some folks, that would be wonderful.

Thanks for your positive inputs.
I don't suppose getting paid and going home is quite what you are looking for.

However, you've posed a very interesting question, one with a multitude of answers because we're all different and "one mans meat " etc. I think it's important, as a former trainer, to explain to the aspiring engineers just how much diversity there can be and in essence, to look at any element that really appeals.....then ask them... why ?

Given "over there " is a bit different to "over here ", in some respects, it's not a bad idea to try and illustrate the pro's and con's of say, the airline world. Biz jet, G.A. Vintage Rotary to name but a few...or component shops, although why anybody would willingly work in a bay is a mystery to me given the RAF kindly insisted I did....I wasn't entirely in agreement you understand.

As the F.E has now been replaced by a couple of television screens, the next best option would be a flying spanner with a cargo outfit. Personally, I always liked Line engineering, ( free international food and coffee ) but do stress Alaska, for example, gets a bit cool in the winter, whereas Florida doesn't in this respect.

I appreciate the above may seem a bit light hearted, but, as I say, you've posed a question with a multitude of potential responses so I hope this helps in some small way.