PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2020, 20:23
racedo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dannyboy39
This has to be the way forward and I certainly think in Europe and North America this will happen. In APAC I’m less convinced as they seem hell bent on going for the outright elimination strategy which appears impossible to achieve for many years globally.
I don't think there is any one way forward and the societal changes wrought from Covid have not yet been fully realised. There has been a lot of economic and political destabilisation and there is substantially more to come. Millions who have been paid by the Govt for 8 months do not want to return to work.

US I don't forsee them getting a grip on anything over next 4 years as it is massively divided, aside from Biden being elected pretty much down ticket in his party failed. Georgia senate elections are irrelevant as WV Senator will jump ship if it is 50-50 so a log jam. This pretty much means that US Govt will do diddly squat for next 4 years and aviation will take a back seat. Likely be 2022 before (if) travellers return to the US in any numbers.

EU is not in any better state and many countrys will be just holding on with Independence movements getting govts to focus internally rather than externally, Scotland / Northern Ireland / Catalonia / Northern Italy / etc will cause mayhem than distracts from aviation for govts, not to mention Brexit / recessions.

At a time when strong leaders are needed UK has Bojo / US has Biden who is compromised / France has Macron who is a poodle / Germany has Merkel replacement. A demagogue who uses and abuses media is all set.

My gloomy prediction is aviation is in for a rough time for next couple of years and it may not come out of it because history is not what the future follows.