PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-14 pilot talks about his exchange tour on Tornado F3
Old 20th Nov 2020, 17:47
Dominator2

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOMCEVAK,

A very detailed post on the F3 AWS/AMDS, your memory serves you well. My first trial under the tuition of Mal G was the AWS/AMDS. Our findings were (I believe) that the system was beneficial in reducing workload in nearly all situations. There were a few areas where manual intervention was recommended to achieve optimum performance, (you can't polish a t**d). I recall that with a rapid onset of AoA the manoeuvre slats were too slow to deploy. This was a function of the slats being deployed by screw jacks rather than 3000psi hydraulic rams.

Your quite correct, the engineers and luddites within the MOD quashed the system and claimed that it was unsupportable.

A shame that in the video there is not a comparison between the F3 and Tomcat Tactical Displays and JTIDS implementation. The F3 was light years ahead of the Tomcat.

Equally, the F3 with AMRAAM and ASRAAM was a formidable weapons system. If the HMS that was developed and functional in 2000 was bought into service it would have enhanced the ac even more. A shame that politics came into play and the F3 was not allowed to outshine the then troubled Typhoon in any way at all!!

Last edited by Dominator2; 21st Nov 2020 at 07:47.