PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair-10
Thread: Ryanair-10
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2020, 16:46
davidjohnson6

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Ryanair to Stockholm Arlanda ?

Norwegian are experiencing significant issues, as evident in their requesting examinership (i.e. bankruptcy) in Ireland. It seems that even if they get through their issues, they will likely be a MUCH smaller airline than they were in 2019 - most likely falling back to their core market of Oslo where they had significant market share in 2019
Besides Norway, one of their main country markets was Sweden, with an emphasis on Stockholm Arlanda airport. Following the collapse of NextJet, the minimal existence of BRA and the likelihood that Norwegian will be doing a lot less flying in Sweden in the next couple of years, that leaves a bit of a gap in the Swedish market

Ryanair fly to Skavsta instead of Arlanda (as well as Vasteras until it closes completely in 2022 due to local subsidies ceasing). I know Ryanair cut Skavsta as a base but that was when Norwegian were doing a lot of Swedish flying - post Covid the market dynamics are changed long term. I'm wondering if Arlanda might decide to encourage Ryanair with a deal to move some of their city flying to Arlanda from October 2021 while leaving the beach routes at Skavsta, similiar to what happened with Glasgow/Prestwick, Brussels/Charleroi or Frankfurt/Hahn. If Ryanair decide not to capitalise on Norwegian's misfortunes, I imagine Wizz might be interested. No, I don't see Greta/flygskam killing off Swedish flying long term

Any thoughts on Ryanair turning up at Arlanda some time in 2021 ?

Last edited by davidjohnson6; 20th Nov 2020 at 17:17.