PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod XV 256 accident (1980)
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2020, 10:03
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
RD, thanks again for coming back. Re the link to the BoI Summary, I think DV already has that and was attempting to resolve differences between it and other sources. The type of birds being the obvious discrepancy and which you have now confirmed.

The 80's was a decade where old school military airworthiness and accident investigation came under increasing strain until being effectively broken in the end. The result was apparent with the loss of Chinook Mk2 ZD576 on the Mull of Kintyre in 1994. 29 killed, and a Reviewing Officers' Finding that brought dishonour on the reputations of both pilots and of the Royal Air Force. The start of this road to hell might be seen as the agreement between the MOD and the Scottish Crown Office that as Service Personnel were not deemed 'employed', their deaths on duty in Scotland did not justify the holding of an FAI. DV exposed this cynical act, then fought and won to get it overturned. I hope this gives some idea of why a seemingly straight forward but tragic accident in 1980 is linked with later ones affected by the grossly negligent acts of RAF VSOs and their subsequent cover up to this very day.

Finally, may I join you in paying tribute to the professional skills of the pilots who ensured that their fellow crew members survived, though losing their own lives in doing so. It was indeed in the finest tradition of the Royal Air Force. Not knowing if any of their relatives might read this thread, let there be no doubt about the esteem in which they are held.