PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-14 pilot talks about his exchange tour on Tornado F3
Old 20th Nov 2020, 09:24
LOMCEVAK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As there have been some comments about the Auto Wing Sweep and Manoeuvre Device System (AWSMDS) on Tornado vs the system on the F-14, I thought that I would try to add a little more detail, albeit from memory from a few years ago (30+ for the Toranado, 24 for the F-14D). The F-14 auto wing sweep was infinitely variable and set according to airspeed/Mach number. It could be manually overridden to a further aft position but not overridden further forwards. The F3 AWS set the wings to one of the cleared wing sweep angles (25, 45, 58, 63/67) and the position changed as the Normal Operating CAS/Mach limit was passed. The manoeuvre devices operated on angle of attack and the two systems were, effectively, functionally separate. It all worked as advertised during the Release to Service trials and the F3 OEU conducted their trials on it but initially had some reservations, mainly related to sweeping between 25 and 45 wing at 450 KCAS/0.73M, in particular when 'bugging out' to pitch back in at just under the 25 wing never exceed limit of 0.8M and wishing to remain in 25 wing throughout. However, when you pressed the clutch on the wings weep lever the AWS dropped out and you had normal manual wings weep. To re-engage the AWS all you had to do was press the select button on the left console behind the throttles. I have to say that my opinion was that for low type-experienced pilots the system resulted in a significant reduction in pilot workload.

The reason why the AWSMDS never entered service on the F3 was because by the time that a decision had been made to clear it (and all of the airframes had the system installed at manufacture then inhibited) the programme had slipped by a financial year (or was it 2?) and there was no funding for the maintenance test sets to be purchased so it was never activated. The Saudi ADVs, however, did have it activated. The GR1/GR4/IDS never had AWS although the Saudi IDS did have auto manoeuvres fitted. During the clearance trials an interesting characteristic was highlighted in that if the manoeuvre devices deployed during a high AOA rapid roll then a large g spike occurred which could result in an overstress especially in 45 wing.

I am interested if anyone else here has any further recollections of these systems.