PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N1 - 0, N2 - 0 (737 argument with an instructor)
Old 20th Nov 2020, 08:36
sheppey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But, before making a decision on the actions I need to take, I studied the engine indications. So that is what I am sure of: N1 indicated 0, N2 indicated 0. I have been trained that this indicated an Engine Severe Damage, which made me call for a memory drill of the appropriate checklist.
The OP description of what he looked at in deciding the action to take is too simplified. As Centaurus noted there was no mention by the OP of any other engine parameters. The whole subject under discussion is not worth arguing about until the OP provides more detail on what else he saw other than the readings of two gauges, the N1 and N2.

Having had long experience at simulator training involving hundreds of engine non-normals including engine seizures, I cannot recall ever selecting on the instructor panel a deliberate engine seizure without the first indication to the flight crew being significant airframe vibration. Of course the seizure will eventually cause the N1 and N2 to fall to zero as the seizure takes effect. But without amplification by the OP of any other engine indications to back up his opinion the non-normal was a seizure, the discussion goes around in circles.

In the example given by the OP he seems to rely solely on the readings of two instruments N1 and N2 as proof of an engine seizure. The instructor disagreed and said it was an engine failure. After all, it was the instructor who "arranged" the the event so we should assume he knows which button he selected on his own panel.

Sorry mate but thats a load of rubbish
An interesting and informative thread spoilt by a rude remark civf88