PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 100 years of Aviation,your best memory?
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2003, 16:28
Padhist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memories

So many memories. Where does one start...Tiger Moths of course? I was on a Grading course
At High Wycombe in Feb 1943 and each day we made our way to the flight line for our first
Flight...Air experience. The cloud was almost on the ground and stayed that way for about 10 days
But at last it lifted and my instructor said “Right off we go". Well we climbed on and on forever
Until we topped the clouds...I had never seen a sight like it! Cotton wool as far as the eye could see
Topped with clear blue sky. After a few moments my instructor said "look down to your left" I did so and saw
A complete circular rainbow on the cloud top with the shadow of our aircraft in the centre. I can still see that.

My first air experience flight in a PT19a in Miami Oklahoma. My instructor inverted the aircraft and
asked if my straps were holding OK. I wasn't sure because I was clutching the sides of the aircraft so firmly
Nothing would have shifted me. He said "raise your right above your head"...Well my right hand shot up
and back down again so fast I doubt if he saw it. I had to repeat this with the left hand. Then he said" Right
now both hands up and keep them there...it took a bit of courage but I did it and was very pleased to
note the straps held and also to realise that I was not a bit scared???????

My first night flying cross country on Harvard’s, when I got lost due to unforcast cloud over the route
and had to make an emergency landing in a small grass field, having perimeter lights but no
‘runway’ lights I had to make 3 attempts each one scaring me silly. But at last I was
down finishing up a few yards from the perimeter. I walked across to the lighted up office building to find
it was a communications/meteorology facility. Having asked the very attractive lady in charge to phone my base
I further asked if I could have a little shut eye time on the floor. I discovered this was always my reaction to fear.
Waking after about half an hour she advised me an aircraft had gone straight down into a nearby highway
Checking the position I was sure it was one of ours. It was.

My first jet flight in a Meteor. So smooth. So much easier than the ‘Up and downers’

My two written off Mosquito’s in Singapore.

Flying one black night , over the North sea in a Canberra at 40ooo ft, I had turned down the cockpit lights and was for some time looking at a fluorescent instrument array. Very gradually the aircraft disappeared from around me and I was left sitting in space, with only the instrument panel glaring in front of me. Suddenly I came too in a panic, switched on the cockpit lights asked the navigator how he was (he must have thought I was nuts) and continued the flight. I can only conclude that I had become hypnotized by the fluorescent lights and it took a quick reassuring look at the surrounds by means of the normal lighting and contact with the Nav to bring me back to normality.

Automatic landings in the Vulcan at RAE Bedford