PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod XV 256 accident (1980)
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2020, 04:46
Richard Dangle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With no BoI Report seemingly in the public domain

Don't know if this link will work, but anyway took me about 15-20 seconds to find with my good friend Google.

MAAS, RAF Nimrod MR2, Date: 17 Nov 1980 PDF [2.2 MB]

If it does work and you can read it, it appears my memory of that fateful day is pretty accurate as it endorses much of what I wrote above. To be clear, I wrote my post first, before reading it, I only searched for it because I was under the impression that, contrary to the post above, I thought - generally speaking - publically published RAF BOE summaries (I am aware they are partially redacted summaries) are accessible through the National Archives, which it appears they are.

I applaud any campaign to improve airworthiness/flight safety military or otherwise, but since this is one of those rare accidents where the cause is clear, unambigious and beyond any reasonable doubt, and the airworthiness of the type is incidental (poor choice of word maybe, but any reasonable person will know what I mean) maybe this one can be left alone. Perhaps it is best remembered purely for the tragic loss of the pilots, who against all odds, saved the lives of their crew, through their calm professionalism in the face of mortal danger. May they rest in peace.

As to DV's "mission" - it appears his beef is with the Scottish Justice System. As we all no doubt know, military law is subservient to civilian law (in the UK) and in Scotland, Scottish Law (in most matters) holds sway. Personally I find the entire UK justice system idiosyncratic in countless ways, so I wish him best with his quest, but again it seems a niche issue for this forum and discussion of it in the context of this 1980 accident seems tenuous at best.

Finally, as regards this accident I think you could hold any number of inquiries by any number of agencies and the findings would be largely identical to that which the RAF produced at the time.

Now that this has all been brought back to the front of my grey matter, I'll raise a glass to the pilots tonight.

Per adua ad astra

Last edited by Richard Dangle; 20th Nov 2020 at 05:05.