PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Skydive Close Calls
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2020, 01:14
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by havick
Not exactly on a jump run, but there was the B412 which took the head off someone in a field at one of the US free fall conventions.
There's a lot of video of a 412 that regularly performs low level stunting with jumpers on board as part of the "experience" before heading up to altitude and jump run. Can't remember anyone being hit on the ground, though. Tried Googling it but my Google Fu must be weak on this one.

Was at the convention one time way back when it was held in Quincy, IL every year. They always had an amazing line up of unusual jump aircraft. Helicopters, balloons, open cockpit biplanes, and of course the 727 for the "DB Cooper" jump. The highlight for me was the jump we did (without O2 ) from 17,000ft out of the last remaining Helio Stallion (which crashed a year or two later, no surprise). Phenomenal aircraft. That was back in <cough, cough, whatever> when skydiving was still a biker/bandit/outlaw sport and not the industry it is now. Got a taste for that high altitude stuff and later went on to do some legit jumps with O2 from 25Kft. Great stuff, I miss it a lot, but now me and the missus (she's a skydiver, too) just go air it out occasionally in the local vertical wind tunnel. Must concentrate on rotary wing op's, you know