PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Navy TexanT6 crash fatal 10-23
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2020, 13:16
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Scary plot, Ugly, and many thanks.

Our experience in the Viper was no kidding gee-LOC and not oxygen system problems that have been alluded in the T6, F-22 and F-35. The GLOC usually resulted in lack of ability to do much for a minute or so - figure 60 to 90 seconds, even if able to mumble. Whereas some physiological phenomena like CO poisoning or some exhaust fumes or OBOG malfunction involving bleed air or ...... likely takes longer to recover or maybe never.

My episode was with student studly looking up over his shoulder and pulling hard, then relaxing the gee. At first I thot he was "extending" to gain energy before turning back to the bandit. We were not real low, and maybe 15 deg nose down, so I gave him 5 - 10 seconds before looking forward to see his head bouncing off the canopy rail. Gums asks..." Ski, ski!" ( had a Eastern Euro name,so to be accurate, that was on the tape). "Knock it off!!" on radio to the bandit. "I got it", says Gums while recovering and then telling the bandit we were RTB. We had adopted procedures after an LOC episode to preclude further medical problems. Student recovered fully about 90 seconds or so from when I noticed the relaxed gee, so he was likely "out of it" for almost two minutes.

The profile for this one resembles LOC (from whatever cause), and if the plane was fairly well trimmed, you would not see much variation in flight path unless one of the crew was putting pressure on the stick, even tho unconscious. The Helios crash in 2005 is one to see, although the loss of oxygen happened slowly.

Sure hope we look hard at the OBOGs.

Last edited by gums; 18th Nov 2020 at 13:26. Reason: spellcheck