PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ pilots under political pressure (merged)
Old 6th Dec 2003, 11:24
highcirrus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Straits Times Editor must have made a mistake letting this one through

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/for...23899,00.html?

Give SIA pilots some credit

I REFER to the article, 'Govt acting to prevent 'broken heads' at SIA' (ST, Dec 2), and the comments made by Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew.

I have tremendous respect for SM Lee and have noted how he had personally seen to the growth and development of Singapore Airlines. I also applaud the Government's decision to improve working relations between SIA management and the pilots' union.

However, I feel strongly that SM Lee's remarks might be misplaced when he commented that pilots think they are 'a special breed' and how he was told 'they have got huge egos'.

It was only a few months ago that SM Lee praised with much emotion how SIA swiftly and efficiently responded to his call to bring Mrs Lee home from Britain, shortly after she suffered a stroke.

My son-in-law, a young co-pilot, has been with SIA for almost four years and I would like to point out to SM Lee that it was people like him and his colleagues and their team of cabin crew who flew Mrs Lee home.

I understand from my son-in-law that due to the nature of the medical emergency, pilots had to immerse themselves in careful flight planning and fuel management prior to the flight because of increased oxygen requirements.

Also, the safe manoeuvring of the aircraft to avoid poor weather conditions and air turbulence was vital to Mrs Lee's comfort and safety during the 13-hour journey.

The pilots and the crew had to stay alert and vigilant in case of an emergency so that the passengers might rest easy. At the end of the day, with the job done, the flight crew did not ask for any recognition. To them, it was part of their job. They saw themselves as having a 'huge responsibility' to the travelling public - and our leaders who travel with them - as opposed to having a 'huge ego'. I applaud their professionalism in carrying out their duties.

In every profession, there are sacrifices to be made and different sacrifices are made in different professions. It takes two to three years of vigorous training - during which trainee pilots receive meagre wages - to be a confirmed and operational airline pilot in SIA.

They spend what little time they have at home, making up for lost time with their families.

They fly to and stay in sometimes-treacherous places, where terrorist acts and natural disasters are not uncommon, so that our citizens may find their way home.

They are constantly scrutinised and tested by the aviation authorities to ensure that they are well versed in emergency procedures. A single mistake could cost them their entire career.

These are sacrifices that only a very small number of people are prepared to undertake. Pilots take on the job because they want to provide a good life for their family.

SM Lee cited pilots defending their right to be seated in Business Class during their rest period as an example of their belief that they are a special breed.

The way I see it, pilots defending their rights as stated in the terms of the collective agreement are no different from our leaders challenging Malaysia's bid to raise the price of water, contrary to the water agreements. As our Foreign Minister so aptly put it during his speech in Parliament, 'the sanctity of all agreements must be upheld'.

I agree with the Government that this issue must be resolved quickly and that confrontational approaches should be discouraged. However, one must question the events that led to this incident and it will not be difficult to see why the pilots are unhappy.

Let's not start labelling SIA pilots. They deserve some credit for the job that they do and our leaders should take the first step.

Name and address supplied