PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Military Aircraft Would You Bring Back To Service?
Old 18th Nov 2020, 09:09
rcsa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so in a light-hearted (though heart-felt!) thread, here's a serious question. Watching the annihilation of Armenian armour and ground systems by Turkish/Azeri Bayraktar UAVs in the Nagorno Karabagh war over the past couple of months, I wonder, is there an aircraft that could be used to shoot down UAVs in this kind of conflict?

I'm thinking it needs to be light and manouverable, armed with canon; low heat signature (there are plenty of MANPADS in theatre of the SAM7/10 type, not to mention more sophisticated AA and AAA systems); easy to fly, maintain and operate; service ceiling of 25-30,000 ft; cheap; STOL or short field capable; and, crucially, easily available or easily modifiable from an existing platform.

As an informed amateur it seems to me that, given the lamentable shortage of Spitfires or Mustangs, an obvious choice would be something like an Air Tractor AT-802. But how 'hot' is a PT6? Is there a way of cooling the heat signature? Or is there a market for interceptor UAVs - designed to loiter at altitude and shoot down enemy UAVs, armed with A2A missiles, perhaps?