PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N1 - 0, N2 - 0 (737 argument with an instructor)
Old 17th Nov 2020, 21:42
Mr Good Cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beakor
These are the conditions from the 737 QRH for Severe Damage.

Condition: One or more of these occur:
•Engine fire warning
•Airframe vibrations with abnormal engine indications
•Engine separation.

You had abnormal engine indications but if this was not accompanied by airframe vibrations then it doesn’t meet the condition for Severe Damage. Practically I think this is only possible in a simulator. In the aircraft, the chances of both spools stopped with no airframe vibration is virtually impossible. A signal failure to both indicators may do this but then you may not lose thrust. So, in my opinion, your instructor is technically correct but it’s not a likely scenario for real. Sounds like that sim puts N1 and N2 to zero when Engine Flameout is selected.
To the letter of the law, this ^^^

It’s quite rightly been pointed out that the likelihood of having no airframe vibration if you have both rotors locked is probably nil.

However, you do exactly what it says on the tin (i.e. don’t do severe damage without airframe vibration) and you’ll have something to stand by in court. The correct checklist would obviously be Surge/Limit/Stall which will lead you into a shutdown for this condition anyway. In a real incident, a sneaky lawyer might find some reason to ping the blame on you for a subsequent problem by showing you don’t know the manuals for your engine situation. Anything done outside them must able to be justified in court. Sucks, because I think we all know that two locked rotors must be severe damage. I think in the sim I would let this play and raise it as a talking point. If it was handled safely then the box has been ticked for engine-out handling.