PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2020, 21:28
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I was going to reply to A56, and point out that those 75 years have included carrier operations as part of the Cold War from 1945 until 1992(?), Korea, Malaya, Suez, the Borneo Confrontation, Middle East and African entanglements, deterring an invasion of Belize in 1972, Gulf War related activities, Bosnia, Kosovo, keeping Saddam in his box, Sierra Leone, and renewed NATO naval activities.

I was going to point out that naval forces, like all forces, do not just cease to have a useful role when not on live operations. They deter, reassure, and influence. A carrier group will often do that in the same way that amphibious forces exercised in the Baltic and near Arctic waters earlier this year, and now they are in the Mediterranean. Likewise carriers will be a part of NATO operations and exercises.

I was going to point out that a task group can cover a large area, and the ships in it will often be detached for other things - just as ships being detached from the main task group in the Falklands to conduct naval gunfire support, support Special Forces, or do localised ASW with a couple of frigates and ASW Sea Kings from the carriers.

Instead, I will just post something you might find informative:

British Uses of Aircraft Carriers and Amphibious Ships: 1945 - 2010