PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NDB only timed approaches
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2020, 09:12
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Its not going to happen that NDB procedures will be introduced at places where they do not currently exist. For the future GNSS procedures are becoming the norm and costing circa £30,000 per approach. NDBs will naturally fade out as the replacement parts become harder to find and the units become obsolete. Where an ADF radio can be found they are also likely to be refurbished units and can cost as much to install in an aeroplane from scratch as some WAAS enabled GPS units so an unlikely choice.

Tragically deaths involving the ILS are not unknown. Sometime ago at the 1000ft (QFE) check I was far too low (calculated using the DME readout) and so stopped the descent. I spent some time maintaining the localiser but remained puzzled before instinctively tapping the indicator glass, the crossbar sprang to life upwards and banged hard against the stop. I regained the glideslope, continued, broke cloud and landed safely. The indicator was, of course, removed and sent to maintenance. Before DME we had the NDB as the outer (and btw inner markers at MDH/A) marker which also served for the NDB let down. The NDB was ubiquitous in serving as an airfield locator and an approach aid. GNSS also does all of this of course plus more.

Spatial awareness was always and remains the most critical skill of instrument flight whatever the kit in use. I often hear of the cross bars being referred to as "command" indicators. They are not and never intended to be, they are simply: course deviation indicators (CDI)