PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Firefly disappearance '53/'54
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2020, 09:06
g0akc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by QuePee
Interestingly, I have seen two different aircraft identities quoted for the loss on 8th March 1954. Firstly as Dave Reid suggests Firefly T2 MB566 of 766 Squadron. Other sources also quote a Firefly FR1 MB763. The crew lost on that date is listed as the same for both aircraft. I have not found any "official" sources listing which is actually correct.

QP
There do seem to be some anomalies. I've seen the incident listed with 820 squadron FAA as well as the details you've given. There's a useful record on aviation safety dot net (I can't post URLs). The 'official' record seems to be this at Kew: National Archives (PRO Kew) - Aircraft Accidents: Firefly T2 MB 566 on 8.3.54 at RNAS Eglinton: File ADM 1/25323 - Aircraft Accidents: Firefly TB MB 566 on 8.3.54 at RNAS Eglinton. Includes 1 photograph depicting: Firefly T Mk 2: damage to mainplane Rib 11. Dated 1954 Unfortunately it's not digitized so it can't be easily downloaded. One cannot currently visit the records office due to Covid lockdown but I may try and get a paper copy - but my wife has satisfied her curiosity as to what happened to her uncle. The newspaper articles/records are available on the BNA (British Newspaper Archives) and give reliable details of the crew, search for remains and so on.