PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a Pilot YouTuber...
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2020, 19:12
Private jet

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wirbelsturm
I believe Martin Lewis of finance fame suggested the best analogy for the UK system.

"Don't consider it a debt, consider it a personal investment into your future earnings potential"

It's very true to say that nothing comes for free, the 'free' university degrees in the UK back up until the 2000's were paid for by the UK Government and, hence, the tax payer. In order to increase the availability of courses and to try to shrug off the veneer of 'elitism' under the social mobility banner the 'fee' was introduced including a 'means tested' sliding scale of benefits. As audioguy has correctly stated the investment of a country in education and the upward mobility of its citizens in the earnings market reaps taxation rewards that far exceed the initial outlay.

However in order to benefit from the future advantages such a qualification, be it a degree of a professional flying qualification, brings you must first invest. If that monetary outlay/debt is something you neither want or can handle then don't do the course. That investment also includes studying carefully future job markets for the qualification you are trying to achieve. Whilst no one could have foreseen the COVID collapse it is well known that the flying market is highly volatile and cyclic. Never trust a singular source
Always remember that the current, younger job seekers are not 'leeches' but the ones that will be paying in the future for your, and my, retirement.
All very true, a qualification is useless though unless you can profit from it.... With regards to Martin Lewis, I'm not a fan tbh, but that is a different discussion for a different time.